A Criminal Attacks Can Result From Negligence And May Be Cause For A Lawsuit
It is a sad fact of life that people are assaulted and attacked each day in their homes, workplaces and hotels. The criminal justice system may put the criminal behind bars but it does not compensate the victim for losses due to injury. The civil justice system however allows the victim or the victim’s surviving family to sue for compensation from the attacker and anyone else responsible for the victim’s injuries.
If you were injured or lost a family member in an assault and would like to speak with a lawyer from our Brooklyn personal injury firm, please contact our office to make arrangements for a complimentary consultation. We can answer your questions about negligent security and assault cases.
Negligent Security Contributes To Assaults
Apartment building owners, property managers, employers and hotel operators have a duty to prevent foreseeable violent and sexual assaults to innocent people. They may be partially responsible for a victim’s injuries, if they failed to provide reasonably secure conditions to prevent an attack or failed to correct conditions that contributed to the attack. When investigating an assault our attorneys will identify foreseeable hazards that should have been corrected:
- In large apartment or housing developments an assault in one building may mean the owner or manager should recognize that a similar assault may occur in another building in the same development.
- If the building manager has been notified of a broken security lock, it should be repaired within a reasonable time.
- Parking lots, hallways and stairwells should be well lighted.
- Security companies and other employers should perform appropriate criminal background checks and properly train and supervise staff.
- Building security should be adequately staffed to prevent assaults.
- Bars and clubs should monitor violent behavior of patrons.
Contact Us Following A Criminal Attack
Attorneys at Lozner & Mastropietro are dedicated to representing victims of assault and negligent security. If you were injured or a loved one was killed as a result of an assault due to negligent security, or if you have another question about civil claims for assault, a lawyer from our Brooklyn firm is happy to help. Please call us at 718-615-0044 or use our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.