No one ever expects they will be in a car accident but unfortunately many are involved in one every year in Brooklyn. Many times, a car accident is just a minor fender bender, but even those accidents can cause injuries, sometimes appearing days or even weeks after the event. Neck injuries are one of the more common injuries a person can sustain with over 80,000 people in the U.S. suffering a neck injury in a car accident each year. A neck injury can lead to long term pain and suffering, making it important to treat these injuries as soon as possible.
The neck is not well protected in the car. Your head and neck are not held down when your car is hit, causing the neck and head to jerk back and forth, to the side, or be hit by debris. There are many different types of neck injuries you can suffer in a car accident. These include:
- Whiplash. Whiplash is one of the most common neck injuries. It occurs when the head and neck jerk forward and backward in a sudden movement. It causes straining, tearing, and damage to the muscles, nerves and ligaments in the neck and can be incredibly painful. When you receive early treatment for whiplash, it often can get better.
- Soft tissue damage. Ligaments and tendons in the neck can tear with the impact of a car crash.
- Broken neck. You can fracture your neck in a car accident. These injuries can be extremely painful, and can leave lasting damage.
- Slipped disc. A slipped or herniated disc can pinch nerves that impact the neck and cause pain and weakness.
- Cuts and lacerations. Flying debris in a car accident can cause deep cuts and bruising. These may lead to ligament damage in the neck.
A legal professional who is skilled in personal injury can help a car accident victim receive the compensation they deserve. They understand that a car accident can be life-altering so it is important for a victim to receive medical attention immediately and prompt legal action may be required as well.