Bicycle accidents can be devastating for bicycle accident victims. They can suffer injuries that can be lifelong which is why it is important for drivers to help protect bicycle riders on the roadways and for bicycle accident victims to be familiar with the types of personal injury legal protections available to them when harmed by a negligent driver.
Ways to help keep bicycle riders safe
Drivers of passenger and other vehicles can help keep bicycle riders safe on the roadways, and prevent bicycle accidents, by taking certain actions while driving including:
- Yielding to bicyclists like the driver would yield to other motorists and not underestimating their speed which can help drivers avoid turning in front of a bicyclist especially in an intersection of driveway.
- Searching their surroundings in parking lots, at stop signs, when backing up and when parking for other vehicles and scanning for bicycles.
- When turning right on a red, drivers should always look to the right and behind them to avoid striking an approaching bicyclist. Drivers should always come to a complete stop and look left, right and then left again before making a turn on red.
- Obeying the speed limit and reducing speed for road, traffic or other roadway conditions.
- Giving bicyclists rooms and not passing them too closely. Drivers should treat a bicyclist in the lane as they would any other vehicle or driver by giving them their space.
Bicycle accident injuries can cause victims to suffer physical, financial and emotional damages that can take a toll on the victim. When a victim has been unexpectedly harmed in a bicycle accident, a personal injury claim for damages may be able to help them recover compensation for their injuries and damages from the negligent driver.