There are many different reasons that people in Brooklyn leave their homes and when they do there are many different places that they go. They may simply go on walk or go to friends’ or family’s homes. They may go to restaurants or bars. Many people also go to various stores to buy food, clothes, household goods and many other products. When people go these various places they are generally focused on what they want to buy and not necessarily on all of their surroundings.
They expect that the owners of the various properties will keep it in safe and free of dangerous conditions. This does not always occur though and sometimes people are involved in slip-and-fall type accidents due to these dangerous conditions. These accidents can also result in very serious injuries, which can be very costly for the victims of the accidents. These are also accidents which should not occur and it is important for people to take various steps if they are involved in a slip-and-fall accident.
Information to gather after a slip-and-fall accident
The following are some details that need to be gathered after a slip-and-fall:
- First people should try and assess how hurt they may be after the accident.
- Report the accident to the property owner or the person in charge at the time.
- Try to take pictures or at least check their surroundings to determine what caused the accident. Was it a slippery substance, ice, a depression in the floor, an object left in an aisle, etc.
- Make note of the lighting, whether it was night or day and how well they could see a dangerous condition.
- Take note of any witnesses who may have seen the accident as well as whether security cameras may have captured the accident occur.
- If police came obtain police reports.
- It is also very important that people obtain the medical treatment that they need and keep the medical records from the accident.
Why legal action after a slip-and-fall can be beneficial
There are many slip-and-fall accidents that occur in Brooklyn. People can suffer significant injuries which require significant medical treatment. This can leave people in very difficult situations both physically and financially. However, people who are the victims of these accidents may be able to receive compensation from the property owner depending on the circumstances.
These are very fact-specific cases though and it is important to obtain as much evidence as possible at the time of the accident. Consulting with experienced attorneys who can analyze the evidence could help ensure that people receive what they deserve.